Sunday, August 24, 2014

FIREMEN'S FIELD CG AND GOLDEN HILL CG


AUGUST 19, 2014
Sorry readers, I was not fighting with the Internet to do my Blog at the two previous camp grounds that either didn’t have it or had poor service.   Now I will catch up.     
EAST AURORA FIREMEN’S FIELD:
Friday: 8/15:
Bob offered to pick up the building key uptown at a pizza shop.
We had four units come for the weekend plus four guests came for dinner on Saturday night.   Our camping layout was scattered since we have had so much rain, the heavier units hunted for solid gravel.  


OUR COACH
12 YEARS OLD NOW
On Friday night we all went up town for fish fry at the Iron  Kettle.  Returning to camp, it was windy so we played Mexican Train with dominoes in the hall.   It was getting late and we had a long way to go to finish the game; so everyone agreed to continue the next day and we all retired to our coaches.  (Ha, retired)



Saturday was a Continental breakfast, lunch on your own and a pot luck for dinner.  We brought our own meat.   Many campers went up town again to shop as it’s another quaint setting with artsy store fronts and brick highway.  The famous Vidler’s Five and Dime is always a fun stop, two floors of instant insanity!  


4 O'CLOCK COCKTAILS
SCOTT & JONI'S DAUGHTER AND GRANDDAUGHTER CAME
FOR SUPPER.  THEIR G.DAUGHTER (KENLEY) IS A BEAUTIFUL BLONDIE AND SHE WEARS PINK SAPPHIRE PIERCED EARRINGS.  (17 MONTHS OLD) 
We played more Mexican Train after dinner and we still didn’t finish the game! Again, it was to windy for a fire outside and then it rained.
Sunday we cooked breakfast in the hall.  Wow, we had so much food.   We didn’t need a lunch, that’s for sure.   Somewhere around three, three units pulled out and headed for GOLDEN HILL STATE PARK on   Lake Ontario .
JONI COOKED THE SAUSAGE & EGGS
SCOTT MADE THE PANCAKES
I COOKED THE BACON.  
We arrived at Golden Hill about 4 o'clock, just before the office closed.  We registered and went to our site.  After set up, we visited until everyone was hungry again.  Then we all had quickie dinners, much easier to plan them on travel days.   I had stuffed peppers to zap.  Since the coach front was high, making the step hard to manage, I asked Bob to carry the food out so we could eat with the others at the picnic table.   He had the dish with the peppers on a cutting board and he stumbled coming off  the  step----all down the front of himself and onto  the plastic door mat.   
OOPS!
 Art built a fire after we ate.  He has one stick that he uses to maintains the fire, don't anyone burn it.




VERY PRETTY!
MONDAY 8/18  AT GOLDEN HILL STATE PARK  
This morning we woke up to look out the front window of the motor home to the beautiful blue Lake Ontario.   It was nice and calm.  Lots of sea gulls flying about.   After breakfast, we sat around outside-resting-from chair to chair.  Lots of conversation about health foods as Art & Donna do not eat meats or dairy products.   Of course, I had questions for Bonnie about Trim Healthy Momma Meal Plan.   
ART'S BOOK.
I HAVE TO SEE IF THE LIBRARY HAS THIS BOOK.


I hate to say this for fear things will change but since I have been using the coconut oil for cooking, my feet are healing from the psoriasis.  I have one little spot that is still chapping.  Oh, so improved!  Who'da thought?  

Later, Bob and I drove down to the boat docks and he practiced with his fly rod.



OUTLET TO THE LAKE


ANOTHER SUNSET 

TUESDAY:
The wind has shifted and the lake is rough with white caps.  The dark blue water and white caps, so pretty.   We had one heck of a cold night!  Temps dropping to fast to suit me!  Up and at em!  Picking peaches was on the agenda for  today.  This area is known as the Ridge, and it’s a perfect spot for fruit trees.   We had agreed to be ready to travel by ten o’clock and everyone was ready.


Bob and I picked two pecks.  The peaches (Freestone) were so big that only eight would fit on the bottom layer of the baskets.   We had our baskets full in ten-fifteen minutes.  Then we stood around eating a few!  So delicious.  I hope to make pie and peach jelly at home.   

AT WATT'S FARM
HUGE!
DONNA & ART
BONNIE & BOB 
16 PEACHES FILLED THE BASKET

WHAT A TREAT!  DELICIOUS!
 
THE TREES WERE LOW AND LOADED

Leaving the farm, R Jae drove us around another camp ground.  It was mostly permanent sites and campers were pretty well settled in...not to attractive in some cases.  We decided it wasn't as nice as Golden Hill, despite the beach area.  


Back at camp, we stored the peaches in the bay to keep until we got home.   Bonnie pealed enough to make a Dump Cake for our supper dessert.  It was delicious.

The last fire of this camp out was cold.  I wrapped up.  We couldn't see the sunset due to clouds and a mist.  It was very, very cold inside the motor home during the night.  I got up and put on my flannel pj's and robe, closed all the vents and windows.  





WEDNESDAY:
We all packed up and headed for home.  It was over-boo hoo.  Once home, we unloaded the remaining food so we could make lunch.   Then we tackled the rest.  Bob had heard rain was due so he hopped on the John Deere in high gear and did the lawn.  I started the washing.   I went out to the shed to get jars to wash for the jam.  

On the kitchen table was a gift from Betsy.  Her hair dresser told her about a delicious recipe and she wants to make it.



This little gadget makes the squash look like spaghetti noodles.  Less calories than pasta.  We shall see.  It has a recipe booklet; potato pancakes is in there.  I'd like to try that recipe.  Must be the blades can be changed.

THURSDAY:
It wasn't an earth moving morning but I did get the washing and folding finished.   Bob washed the car and then down loaded the blog photos for me to pick out.  He had the Oatka retirees luncheon today so he left for Bob Evans for one o'clock.   
I washed the jars for jam, then made a peach pie before Bob came home.  




Bob took a nap, he didn't feel good.  That gravy will get you very time!  Ha!  


FRIDAY:
I checked the peaches and they looked ripe enough to start using the rest of them.  Well, after coffee and waking up.  
I made two batches of jam and canned seven pints of slices.  The slices were so fragile, it was hard to pack the pints as they mushed up if you pressed down on them in the jar.  Some parts were over ripe and some still clung to the pit.  But they were juicy and delicious.  
It took me most of the day.  Bob helped with the caner pot as I am afraid of it.  He helped with the last clean up too.  I was bushed and couldn't face making supper so we had a pizza!



After supper, I sat in a chair reading until I finished my book, then went to bed.  

SATURDAY:
I was lazy this morning.  I sat an checked my phone for the latest!  So many people taking the ALS ice bucket challenge; hope they all donate.  

Then I wanted to look up sauerkraut, yes sauerkraut. Bob heard at the Oatka luncheon that the German's did not create sauerkraut!  Well, the Internet says the Chinese had kraut during the time they were building the great wall, 2000 some years ago but it didn't say they created it.   

Playing with the phone takes a while and I realized that I better get something done.  We have the great grand baby's baptism tomorrow so I needed to do a gift.  

A trip to the grocery store, making supper and the day is gone.  

SUNDAY:
Rise and shine people!  We had to be at the Niagara University church by ten o'clock for the baptism   Betsy drove, we couldn't decide on the exit to use and made a longer loop for ourselves but we arrived in good time.

Following mass, everyone joined Father around the baptismal.  Baby Lorenzo never made a peep!  He was so good.  









GODPARENTS
JOE'S BROTHER-ANTHONY
CHRISTIANNA'S SISTER-ANNALYNN
   

BLESSINGS TO ALL 

After the ceremony we all were invited to the Siena Restaurant in Snyder.  Debbie and Christianna had the tables decorated beautifully.  Christianna had a photo of Lorenzo framed for everyone.  We had a very good meal with lots of deserts!  Cannoli (little tube) with cream cheese filling in a pastry bag to insert into cannoli,  and then add sauces on top of that filling, cake and home made ice cream and eight huge trays of cookies.  We joined right in filling a baggie of cookies to bring home.  I scooped up the meatball cookies, my favorite.  Guess I'll hide them in the freezer.  

We were home by four o'clock.  It was still to hot to water the flowers and lawn.  (rain by passed us again) So we all took a napppie!   

Another week gone by.  I'll be in a state of depression thinking of closing the pool already.  Seemed like a short summer to me.  

So thanks for checking in, hope you have a great week.

GOLDEN GRAM 







No comments:

Post a Comment