Sunday, September 11, 2011

LABOR DAY: September 5, 2011

MONDAY:

Today flew by!  Our goal was going to a cookout at our daughter's to celebrate 3 birthdays.  Several years ago when we were planning get togethers and couldn't find a day that was open for all; I suggested that we start birthday celebrations for more than one birthday at a time.  Like a day every quarter of the year!  Well, that suggestions just blew over every one's heads!  And today, it just fit right in like peanut butter and jelly.  We celebrated Rocco's, Rocky's and Christianna's.  
ROCKY, CHRISTIANNA & MARIO
The weather was disappointing but the cooks persevered and made clams, hot dogs, hamburgers and 2 beef roasts: one rare and one well done.  We had lots of side dishes and desserts.  It was a nice day visiting and hearing all the news.  One retirement, one pregnancy, and a birth expected any day. 
Back at home, we get our pj's on and sit down at the computer.  Over the weekend, I saw a TV program about winning all kinds of sweepstakes.  I was all gun hoe to check that out.  There's alot of them; for cars, candy, Cutco knives, peanut butter and on and on.  Wonder what the chances are in winning one of them? 
TUESDAY: 
What a dark, damp, cool, gloomy morning.  We really had a soaker last night.  I didn't want to get up anyway as I read my book to late.  I finished Growing up Amish.  It reminded me of my Grandmother.  Gram was Old World religion.  (I don't mean Amish)  She always had a German bible on her dinning room table.  A German prayer was said before all meals; I think all the grandchildren know how to say it. You didn't swear, play cards, or go to a fortune teller as Gram said that was work of the devil.  But here's a funny thing: she knew a soldier was killed in the war before an announcement.  She saw him standing in the doorway and he told her.  Her faith was that strong to receive a message.   Unlike, the person in the book who was struggling to find his faith.  I just ruined that book for you, ahe.
I prepared a crock pot meal and then worked on the computer all day.  I could hardly stand up when I was done. 
WEDNESDAY:
Another dark, damp, cool, gloomy day.
Our crock pot meal was horrible last night.  I had a new recipe for Sweet & Sour Pork to be served over noodles from Family Circle magazine.  The pork was dry and stringy.  We took a vote and it defiantly was not a keeper.  I threw the recipe in the trash basket.
I had some errands to run downtown so after lunch I went out to do that.  I can't find Vitamin C with D.  Dr. Sue will have to give me another option.
Bob made some call backs for donations for the HRRVC rally. 


HE RECEIVED TWO NICE SOCCER BALLS FROM SLOAT'S  TIRE PLACE.

BETSY AND I MADE UP THIS BASKET WITH ALL STUFF FROM STAN'S HARLEY DAVIDSON
  I guess I'll finish the evening reading Blogs.  I'm really enjoying them.  One Blog that I read today is by a couple who are work campers at Ives Run Campground. (near a dam down by the Tioga, PA) The Blogger said, they had terrible storms, trees were down and the place flooded.  They had to close several camping areas and call the people with reservations to cancel.  The Rangers say it will be closed until 9/30.  Our camping group is going there in October so I hope they kill all the rattlesnakes that washed out of the mountains. 
THURSDAY:

This morning we started the dreadful task of closing the pool.  (I'm sad) The first thing Bob wanted to do was to cut up the solar liner and get it in the garbage pick up for tomorrow morning. 



 The liner was ripping on the edges and all the little buttons were popping off and floating in the pool the last couple weeks.  They only seem to last about 2 years.  Then we started hauling the furniture over to put inside the deck bottom.  There was so much miscellaneous stuff in there that we couldn't figure out how to put them in.  We organized and threw out some more garbage.  We put all my pool side figurines on a high shelf.  A neighbor stopped for an update on the back field development.  While he and Bob visited, I sat down to rest my legs.  Then it was lunch time.  That's all we got done today. 


POINSETTIA
Would you look at that poinsettia?  It's the same one that Annalynn gave me last November after her speech for LLS.  Before I brought it outside this spring, I had sticks and about 4 leaves left.  It's so healthy looking; hope I can move it back in the house without too much of a shock.  Wonder if it will blossom? We had a call back appointment at Camping World so we showered and dressed to go there.  We now have their latest catalog and flyer with the sales for the welcome bags at the rally.   Coming home we stopped at Gregory's Bakery in Bergen for a few treats for breakfast.  Then we stopped at Lickity Splits for ice cream. 
Bob is doing a quick lawn cutting before more rain comes.  I sat down at the computer.  It's now supper time and no one is hungry!  Yeah!  I have cooked 5 meals in a row, so it's cereal tonight and everyone eats when they feel like it.  I continued my typing: I'm now writing a brief story of our last camp out to send to the Ramblings editor for publishing. 
FRIDAY:
Well, I put shorts on as I saw the sun briefly, what's it going to do outside?  I should complain when half the east coast is having floods.  The photos available are horrible.  Vermont villages destroyed, Binghamton, Scranton, and on it goes. Campgrounds are not excluded; I saw some videos of their disaster.  God help them all.
This rain is driving the ants back in our house so Bob sprayed the whole inside.  It was to hot for him outside so that has to be done yet.  I cleaned the upstairs and when I came down Bob had everything off shelves and under counters moved to get those little buggers.
We went over town after lunch.  Bob needed gas for the lawn mowers and we had .40 off a gal. at Tops so he filled the car and the containers.  Then this little old lady behind us asked if he would be kind enough to pump her gas. The teacher in him came out and he gave her complete instructions while he used her credit card and made all the selections.  It was funny to watch.  Their both talking a mile a minute.  It was her last new car (she said ride) and she was picking up some of her friends and going to Fish Fry.  Our next stop was the Farmers Market for tomatoes to can.  The plum tomatoes are not ripe yet.  Maybe next week.  I bought some peaches and veggies.  Then to Office Max for our last call back for the Rally donations.  Bob came out smiling; they gave him a $20.00 gift card and workbooks for kids.  Hay, grand kids travel with our campers.  That pooped us out, so we headed home and the car is whinnying!  Sounds like the transmission won't shift.  Brother!  Stay on the outside lane!  After a few minutes it quit and we got home okay.  I see Bob has the hood up now. 
Another new recipe, I cooked up some broccoli  with jalapeno pepper, and garlic as a side dish for supper and we all liked it.  It's a keeper.
Back outside storing more of the pool furniture. 

THE MESS!
We look like we are moving, it's so messy every where.
Saturday:
We worked thru the morning; after lunch we started getting ready for a wedding @ 4:pm.  A friend's granddaughter was getting married in Depew, outside.  The weather was nice; a big jumbo jet went over while the ceremony was going on.  The colors was all for fall; burnt red dresses and sunflowers.  Even sunflower cookies.  It was a very nice evening with our friends.
SUNDAY:
Well, here's another Sunday!  We finished closing the pool. 

BETSY'S IS PUTTING IN THE CLOSING CHEMICALS.

ATTACHING THE ELEPHANT COVER
 

IT'S A FOUR MAN JOB.  BOB SAYS, "I HAVE TWO GIRLS AND A DOG!"

Ready for some football!  We had good news this morning.  Grandson Eric, made the Utica College write up with a photo.  They played under the lights last night. Eric is a Sophomore and he is a starting Safety on the Varsity team.  He made 11 stops! (tackles I'm guessing)  Utica was behind but fought to win the game.  Yeah!   Proud Grandpa is listening to last night's game on his computer. Wow, we just finished the pool in time; I hear thunder!
We will be wrapping up the day with the printing of the Rally brochures.  This is the week we have the Rally so hope we have good weather.
 
Everyone have a good week as we adjust to the fall season. 
 
Golden Gram
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment