Sunday, February 24, 2013

MAKE A WISH, AN ENGAGEMENT & THE DIAMOND BALL

MONDAY:
I know that I didn't get up on the wrong side of the bed but I feel like  "Dopey" today.  After breakfast, I sorted the wash.  Then while that's running, I take care of our accounting projects on the computer.  I downloaded from the bank and everything looked strange.  Who to heck worked on these descriptions.  Several debits were listed very strange and I had to call Bob to help me identify them.  I was just to "dumb" to figure them out.  I thought that I shouldn't be doing this now, wait till I'm more alert.  We plodded through it and they were all our expenses.  But what a mess.
Bob was on the last lap of the income tax reports.  He had a booklet of questions to answer and wanted my thoughts.  Oh, when I feel like "Dopey".   I pulled myself together, listened and agreed with his answers.  Pages are all signed and in the car for a trip to the post office tomorrow.

During the afternoon, I finished a thank you letter to Make A Wish to submit to the Holiday Ramblings magazine.  My niece's son and family enjoyed Christmas week at Disney Land compliments of Make A Wish.

Kevin, Christi and Eric
Emily, unknown dog and Sean

It was their wish to take their son, Eric, while he can still enjoy it.  Eric was diagnosed with Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy several years ago.  He is in a pilot research program at Duke University where they have done several biopsies.   The Holiday Ramblers support Make A Wish as one of their charities.  They work all year where ever they are.  My niece wanted me to express a heartfelt thank you to all of them, and she wrote a beautiful message which I copied within the body of my letter.
 
My niece Linda, Eric's grandmother.

 
 TUESDAY:
For lack of plans, we putzed the morning away.  Bob has been checking the Apple school schedule for a different class and nothing has been posted.  We finally went to the fitness center for a workout.  Then to the grocery store near there. 
I had about an hour before starting supper so I wanted to put my knees up for a while.  Bob went for a haircut.  When he came home, he found me sleeping-sitting up-magazine in my hands.  Ha, the workout was too much for me.  Then he tells me that he wants to go to the Town Planning Meeting at 7:00pm.  First I'm "Dopey" and then I'm "Sleepy,"  Man, I had to wake up quick as I had a meatloaf to make.  Bob came in the kitchen to help me, we had stuff flying..but dinner was served and he went off to the meeting.  He has the latest Town Planning development plans now and he said, "he enjoyed the meeting more than NCIS.  Really?  
WEDNESDAY:
The coldest day of the year and I have lunch plans.  The temp is so low, who wants to get out of bed and go anywhere?  I had a slow morning; a few phone calls, and some reading.  I put a roast in the crock pot with potatoes and preceded to get dressed up. 
I met my three girl friends at Tulley's at 1:00pm.  Guests were standing waiting on tables; it seems the school kids had the day off.   Maybe part of President's day recess for them.   Our food was real good but the environment was noisy.  I couldn't hear well and I knew our deaf friend was struggling to stay in the conversation.  There is wall to wall televisions in there.  It was a first outing and driving for my friend who had the six weeks of radiation.  She passed that challenge. 
 
Supper was a thumbs down!  That piece of beef was so stringy and tough; maybe some wine or vinegar would have tenderized it some.  Bob soaked it up with the gravy.  Never again! 
We watched Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and another show and was completely bored.  So off to our computers to see the happenings of the day.
THURSDAY:
 Last night we found a new show on TV.  Four auctioneers bidding for the sales job.  Of course, we had to stay up until we saw the work of each.  So, we slept in late.  Our breakfast was our lunch type of thing. 
 
During the rest of the afternoon, I typed up Bob's notes from the Town Planning Board Meeting.  Then he sat with me relating the missing descriptions as I typed.    He did a good job taking notes; 2 pages.  Once corrected he can send them out to the neighbors on his committee. 
 
I left him posting his notes and went upstairs to cook.  I tried making mini cupcakes in the convection oven.  They turned out very good but way to many for us so I guess I'll send some to work with Betsy for the guys. 
 
We just did Face Time with Sarah.  She has been working at Harvard Univ. for three days doing an inventory @ book store.  Loving life as she calls it.  (Working Girl slogan)  On Sunday, we called Alex on Face Time.  He will be leaving Oklahoma on Sunday and heading to Colorado for a month.  Some prerequisite for pilot training, I think.
 
Here's an old story that's been beaten to death over the years.  I can remember when we bought this house, I had previously taken the Civil Service Exams for work.  A lady called an offered me an interview and I declined it because I wanted to get the house in order.  Bob was in Chicago when the movers delivered and I had boxes everywhere.   When Bob came home from Chicago and I told him the days happenings; he told me to call her back-that he forgot to budget for food within our purchase.  I just realized yesterday that I have been retired from Social Services as many years as I had worked there.  God is good. 
FRIDAY:
 We made it to the exercise place by 11:30 am.  What takes us so long?  After we had lunch at McDonald's as  Bob wanted to try their fish bites.  He didn't care for them. 
 
On the way home I suggested that we stop at one of the banks to see about changing our accounts from First Niagara that we were shoved into using.  A blizzard started up but we went anyway.   We had a good meeting there with many of our questions answered.  We left with a folder full of reading material and another appointment for next week.  I was satisfied and ready to make the change.  Bob is pondering it.
 
A brand new recipe was introduced for our supper.  Betsy had a new recipe for tuna noodle casserole.  How can you change tuna noodle?  The directions called for heavy cream and fresh mushrooms instead of cream of mushrooms soup as a base.  It wasn't bad but I dislike tune noodle anyway.  Bob had a double serving,  His favorite!
 
We watched the final episode of Gold Rush.  Todd's team won the Mother Load recognition.  They all have new locations for mining next year with Parker delaying college to pursue his dreams.  Just a thought; I hope they put the landscape back into it's natural state as they all made a mess of the land. 
SATURDAY:
 It's arrived!  The day of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Diamond Ball.   Get the shoes polished, iron the shirt, polish the finger nails, dig out the glitzy purse, and jewelry as we are stepping out tonight! 
A little side step to our plans was having lunch with Betsy's friend, Cassie.  She came down from Watertown area to have her taxes done.  She is having trouble finding full time employment and has been carrying two part time jobs.  She is always fun and she was our dog sitter.  We miss her.
 
We were almost ready to leave home when Alex called that he wanted to do Face Time.  
Shall we dance? 
So Betsy answered his call.   His girlfriend, Erin, was with him in Colorado.
 
Erin & Alex!
They announced their engagement!
Wow! Shines like a flashlight!





A Toast to Alex & Erin


 
Erin related the whole story to us; Alex buried dog toys and her ring in a treasure box in the sand.  (He created a beach as they weren't near the water)  Alex has worked at the ASPCA in his off hours and has mentioned getting a dog he has fallen in love with.  Erin thought the dog would show up soon.  He told her to keep digging...she was completely surprised and still crying as we spoke.   Our congratulations to them and wishes that all their dreams come true!
 
We arrived at Samuels Grand Manor too early.  We checked our coats and check in to received our programs. They were raffeling off a Las Vegas trip in that area.  We went upstairs and they were still bringing out the hors d'oeuvres.  
The Diamond Ice Sculpture
We walked around the tables with the 86 auction items; Vacation Getaways, Entertainment, Bank Accounts, Electronics, Wine & Restaurants, Celebrity/Sports Memorabilia, Health & Beauty, Golf packages, For Your Home and Miscellaneous.  Each item had a bidding clip board with the starting bid listed.  It was overwhelmingly-unbelievable!  The merchants gave big time.  Ipads, TV, Kindles, portraits, even a diamond pendant. 
Open bar; so I had some wine and Bob had his diet coke.  Then we had the hors d'oeuvres  until our family showed up.  
Rocco and Annalynn
 
David & Donna


 
Our elegant grandchildren.
Christianna, Annalynn and Rocky
 
 
Caroline and Debbie 

 

By then Bob and I hunted a place to sit; an hour and half of standing and the feet were barking!  12 people per table and there must have been 50-60 tables- big event.  The flower arrangements were donations and in the middle of each was a good size diamond (fake).  Annalynn's picture was on our diamond. 
 
Table Decorations
 
 
Annalynn holding the Diamond.
There was also a cookie wrapped with a thank you from many different survivors.  Our meal was served at 8:30pm and it was delicious.   The bus boys carried out 12 dinners per tray.  The dinners were served from the left and removed from the right!  I was watching them; per my waitress training eons ago at the Nittany Lion Inn in State College. 
The drawing for the Las Vegas trip and program followed.   There was a small paper bag at each table with small black jewlery bags within; we were told to open it and pass one bag to each at our table.  If your bag had a number within it; (5 numbers included for entire audience) you were selected to go on stage and pick a card again...for the real diamond.  Bob's bag had a sequin in it and mine had a bingo chip.  No luck!  We did not know the winner but she was speechless.  We had a fantastic evening and a great experience.
 
 
SUNDAY:
I was up early (aches & pains) but then I took 2 ibuprofins and slept on the couch until noon.  Bob and I went through all the 100 photos from last night and it burned up the day. 
 
Since this is already too long, I guess I'll post.
 
What a wonderful ending to our week.  Counting our blessings!  Thanks for clicking in and hope your week is just great.
 
GOLDEN GRAM
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment