Sunday, September 29, 2013

ON THE ROAD AGAIN, TIMBER RATTLESNAKES, LAST CAMPING TRIP

Monday:
When I got up it was nice outside, not warm but decent. 
Goals for today was loading up the motor home for our last camp out.  We leave tomorrow for Ives Run in Tioga, PA.  It's about twenty minutes past the NY - PA border. 
(last unless another idea comes along before the camp grounds all close) 
I made a trip down to the library first; can't go without books to read.  I asked to have my name put on the waiting list for the new Nicholas Sparks book called The Longest Ride.  He is one of my favorite authors.

After lunch, Bob and I went to Wal Mart for a few things plus groceries. 
I packed warm clothes so hope it doesn't fool me and go to 90o.

TUESDAY:
After hooking up the truck, we left the college about1:15 and arrived at Ives Run about 3:55pm.  (110 miles) Check in was at 4:00pm.  We stopped once at a rest area to check the towing truck.  It was fine. It was a beautiful day; sunny and the leaves on the trees were pretty.  Mostly golds and browns, I only saw three trees that were red. 

It was a pokey ride thru the burgs until we got to the express way (390) then Bob must have felt more comfortable, he lit his pipe and put the pedal to the medal. It was a rough ride, lots of bumps.   There was construction on the north side of 390, a brand new road going in.  We had noticed the work when we returned from our trip to Washington, DC.
Arriving at the check in office to find no attendant, we proceeded to our camping site.  While unhooking the car, the park ranger came along and registered our reserved spot.  Comfortably set up we had coffee and a snack.  So supper was later and we had Chapter 1 (Rochester Chapter) ladies come by and invite us to their camp fire. 
There was six of us sitting around the fire and some how the subject of electric came up.  The others had 50amps and Bob stated that we only had 30amps.  Well the guys told him that there are two electric boxes per pole; the top is 50 and the bottom is 30.  Bob never looked and they had a big laugh over that.  Then they had more TV channels than us, they told him if he plugged into 50amps he would have more channels too.  (Believe that and someone could sell you most anything,  the Brooklyn Bridge maybe)  We chatted and laughed until 10:00pm.  It wasn’t to cold, surprisingly as frost was expected.  We had 6 people at campfire.

WEDNESDAY;
Cool morning, I had to cover my nose in bed.  Imagine if you were camping outside…Hoa. Hoa.  We have a small electric heater and Bob had that going so by the time I actually got up it wasn’t bad.   Bob stayed in bed…ah retired and no commitments today.  Bacon and eggs were more like a brunch. 

We stayed around camp, Bob cleaned the dead bugs off the windshield and I read my book, put a load of wash in the washer, until more of our camping friends arrived. 

We enjoyed another warm campfire at night with 12 people there.

THURSDAY;
We couldn’t make up our minds as to where we wanted to go today.  Dress like a tourist, act like a tourist and be a tourist.  Our decision was based on doing something different, we had been to the Elmira Christmas House and we have eaten at the Fry Brothers Turkey Farm.  So that left the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania. 
 
Wellsboro was just 11 miles away so we cruised the burg for a while and then stopped for lunch at the famous Wellsboro Diner. 
OLD FASHIONED METAL CAR
 
 
 
  
HEALTH FOOD, HA!  WE HAD PIE TOO!
 We had a delicious lunch then walked the street and visited about 4 gift shops.  I am always hunting decorating ideas; not that I need anymore stuff to store.  The town had gas lights decorated with corn stalks going down the middle of the street. 

 
We then drove to the GC and walked around there viewing the canyon.  It was very pretty.  
LOOKING EAST


LOOKING WEST 
 
BEAUTIFUL!
I was all engrossed - reading a sign along the viewing rail about the history of the Timber Rattle snake and I heard this voice say,  “I have one all boxed up if you wanted one.”  I was taken back.
JUST READING THE SIGN HAS ME ON EDGE! 
HATE SNAKES!

 
Out of the corner of my eye I could see a hand and a long narrow brown thing that went to the cement.  HE WAS VERY CLOSE TO ME.  I panicked.  Now hold on woman don’t get nuts, your in the public eye, there was a bus load of people there.  Who is this jerk, is he holding a snake?  My feet were already in a backwards motion.  Bob must have sensed my distress and he walked back beside me.  A volunteer in a park vest continued to speak to me.  What a stupid thing to say for an ice breaker!

RETIREES DOING PARK WORK
Turns out he and his wife were volunteers to spread the history of the canyon and they were both very, very nice. The long brown thing was his walking stick. Houses at the bottom of canyon were built by Governor Stone for a secluded hide away near the trout fishing stream.  The governor's wife complained about cigar smoking, card playing men  so he built her a home near by for the women.  The flying birds were Turkey Buzzards.  The rhododendron shrubs all around the area were huge.
 
Back to camp, more of our group had arrived.  We dropped off the wood bundle and went to the camper to make our four o’clock coffee and went to visit with the new comers.   Two arrivals had problems.  One man had a leaking water pump problem on his truck and another had blown a tire on the way.  The tire shredded and tore the camper fender skirt, ripped out the lines underneath the kitchen slide for the propane and electric.  But all are safe.  Ride Em & Fix Em!

For supper I put pot pies in the convection as we had such a big lunch downtown.  Our days are going to fast!
 
FRIDAY:
A casual morning, I made bacon and eggs again.  Then Bob went out to polish the coach.  One side was in the shade so he was anxious to do it as we do not have shade at home. 
I went out to sit in the sun and read; but I couldn't keep my eyes open so I snuck in for a nappie!  I had a lousy night, I finally got up and shut that noisy heat pump off and plugged in the electric heater.  Later I helped to polish. 
One of my friends and I talked, she has a secret group page within Face book.  So she requested my sign on as a friend and I can now see her postings.  She had started a Blog a year ago and found this and decided it was easier.  She and her husband have been FULL TIMERS for a year.  She has beautiful pictures of their travels out west. 
At 4:00pm we loaded up to go for our Friday Fish Fry.  One of our Chapter members had just arrived so Bob and I waited for them.   Bob and Norm was talking away and Bob went right thru a four way stop. (so the followers told me, I couldn't see from the back seat)  Hoa, Hoa!  Lakeview Restaurant was way up on a mountain and the scenery was just beautiful. 
That evening we had 20 people at campfire.  The stories were bountiful.  Of course for a laugh, everything had to be reiterated about the 50 amps and 2 TV stations.  One camper informed us that he had received a notice from his supplementary insurance before leaving home; his policy was going up-Obama Care!  (Bob just checked ours- Bob's is going up $16.00 and mine is going up $31.00, crying out loud!)
(At home, Betsy met the repairman to fix our dryer, yeah!)

TEAM ANNALYNN
The dog is OTTO; Mark & Annalynn's dog.
Tonight we missed going to LIGHT THE NIGHT for LLS at Delaware Park in Buffalo due to camping.  But TEAM ANNALYNN continues to grow.  They walked again to help raise funds. 

SATURDAY:
Up at 7:00am, pack and start home.  We have a 21st birthday party to attend this afternoon. 
Just after we pulled in to our house, David stopped.  He had just delivered 18 school buses.  Happy Camper! 
HE WENT FISHING DURING THE WEEK. 
 THIS IS A BIG SUCKER; NO IT'S A SALMON!
 
Eric, our youngest of the six grandchildren is now 21.  He received a new phone as a gift which requires a finger print to use.  He was very proud of it, having us all try it to no avail. 

NIKI, ERIC AND OTTO
 
OUR BABY IS 21!
 
WHO'S BIRTHDAY IS NEXT TO PULL THE KNIFE OUT?

I received compliments on my Blog again which is very encouraging.  Readers are still hanging in there, no matter the subjects.  Debbie brought a new pumpkin desert.  Sorta like dump cake as you mix the pumpkin right into cake mix, bake then top with cream cheese, whipped cream, Carmel syrup...umm.    After tons of food and more visiting, we returned home and I went straight to bed. 
SUNDAY:
I'm up and at em!  Time to dig in and take care of the loads of washing, and finish unloading the camper.  All the bird feeders are empty so I told Bob to go out and fill them-in his pajamas-ha!  I'd do it but one is so high that I can't reach it. 
This photo just in:
ERIC & NIKI AT THE BILL'S GAME
Next week Sarah is coming home for a couple days so we have her visit to look forward too.  The family was making plans so everyone can see her.  I guess they are talking about a place that's like an adult Chuckie Cheese, dinner and a movie.  Should be fun.

We really enjoyed this past week, celebrating fall.  Hope you have a good week. We'll probably be raking leaves. 
 
 GOLDEN GRAM
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Now that we are on FB together, I get an automatic notice as a reminder to keep up with your Blog!

    ReplyDelete