Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dyngus Day

MONDAY:
Happy Birthday Bob!  Now he is Boss until November when I have my day.  Just a little ditty that we started years ago, since our b-days are almost 6 months apart.  I let him believe he is Boss anyway.
I hurried around sorting the washing, getting out meat for supper and various jobs before going to PT.

Today is Dyngus Day.  (The day following Easter)  Buffalo has a full week's program with parades, polka bands, and food.  An old Polish tradition, boys sprinkle water on girls (flirt)  and tap the girls with Pussy willows.  On Easter Tuesday, the women return the favor.  In modern times, they both do the water & Pussy willows equally.  Don't you just wonder how many people can still do the polka dances? 
When I was a teen, my brother would cart me and friend along to all the dance halls and we danced all night.  Square dances, several various polka dances, waltzes, jitterbugs etc.  We had the big full skirts, a short sleeved blouse and a square scarf ( in hideous florescent colors) which was tied around the neck.  Big fashion then.    However, you didn't leave the building, brother didn't care how much you were sweating, you sit inside and cool off.  It was a wonderful time. 

I went down to the library today, in all that wind!  I wondered why all the books on the library web site are labeled as "Hold".  Out of 9 mystery pages on their site with 6-8 titles on each page, one book was available for selection last night.   It wasn't that way 2 years ago when I first received my e-reader.   As I approached the double doors, I could see the library was dark inside.  Apparently the wind caused a problem.  I was able to enter and walked around and picked out 3 books.  Then the lights came back on.  So I asked my question and their answer was high usage, so many people have readers now.  Plus they have to pay for each license to post the books.  I figured that but why don't they have more than one license?  (Must be budget)
Bob spent some of the day calling for a dash board switch for the motor home.  He talks so much his phone went dead and then he started in on mine.  The mechanics out in Elkhart told him the part number and to go downtown to the auto parts store to get it.  Holiday Rambler price $55.00, downtown  $15.00.  Fleece job!

I did a little more washing, laid down a bit, then made supper.  The spareribs turned out delicious.  Bob had the last piece of pineapple upside down cake that we brought back home from Debbie's yesterday. 


ONE OF BOB'S B-DAY PRESENTS-LITE WEIGHT WADERS

TUESDAY:
The morning was real nice and sunny.  Along about lunch time, the sun went out and a nasty cold rain started.  Tomorrow snow is predicted again.  Rats!

I've had an odds and ends day.  Folding  clothes, ironing, get well cards, phone calls, just busy, busy,  busy.
My friend, MO, stopped for coffee.  She wondered if I had heard anything about our older friend, Gen.   Yes, that was one of the calls I had made this  morning.  Gen is still in the hospital, and the family was preparing paper work so Gen could go for rehab somewhere.  She wants to go home!

One of the library books that I picked up in the dark is a real page turner.  I can't wait to get back to it.  (Summer Session by Merry Jones)

Time for the Biggest Loser show.  I feel asleep during the show, now I have to google to see who was sent home.
WEDNESDAY:
I didn't accomplish much this morning; except getting ready to go to lunch with friends. 
 I was ready early so I went to Dollar General for some greeting cards.   I then picked up Barb and we drove to "Sporto's" or Sport of Kings.
There we waited for Freida.  We had a great time chit chatting for 3 hours!  The food was good too.  For once, former working associates didn't show up and tell us we were taking up their seats.  Boy, those not retired hate to see us out to lunch or in the grocery store during their after working hours.  I just never think about it, if I need groceries, I go. 
I read some after I returned home.  Soon it was supper time. 

THURSDAY:
Bob spent his afternoon yesterday washing windows upstairs so this morning I pushed a dust cloth and dust mop around to finish cleaning the upstairs.  It was dusty.  Lots of stuff to pick up and put away or throw out.  How that junk accumulates when your not looking.  Everybody just drops stuff! 

Well, we are out of cooking supplies again!  So after my LAST physical therapy appointment today we will head out to the grocery story.  Maybe I can tease for another meal out...yeah!  Hate to cook!  
The PT is over.  I've graduated and even received a T-shirt.  At last, my life is mine to schedule again.  We all shared hugs and thank you's and they told me to stop and visit.

When I got home, Bob was sharpening the lawn mower blades.  He wanted to finish up, shower and then go out to eat to celebrate.  Yeah!  We went to Le Roy to L. B. Grand spaghetti house.  I had the special; a huge prime rib/angel hair spaghetti and Bob had the veal parmigiana.  Our dinners were excellent.  On the way home, again we passed on ice cream as we were satisfied with the meals.  I remembered that I had the bed tore apart so we headed home inside of going for groceries.  There's always tomorrow, see how you act when retired! 

Then I'm going to read.  Enough for today.
FRIDAY:
Sunny and nice but still cool.  By the time that I got up the morning was half gone.   We headed off for lunch and groceries.  On the way, we had a phone call from our camper friend, Bob J.  He was at Home Depot and was able to join us for lunch at Mickey D's.   He is replacing TV's in his motor home and he wanted to see how Bob had installed ours.  So I left them to go for the groceries and they came home to investigate.  When I arrived home, the guys were still talking in the driveway-RVer's love to talk!   I should have asked Bob J. (my mentor) why I'm having words in the Blog that are blue and underlined.  When we click on them, they bring up advertising.  Not sure I like that!
The groceries put away, I grabbed a chair to read before fixing supper.  I did real good in the store (my first trip alone) until the last few minutes then the knees started to ache. 
In the evening, we heard that my beautician had a baby boy.  She was over her due date so I'll bet she is glad it's over.
Also, a photo came in displaying all the awards that our grandson Alex received during the Military Ball.

Congratulations Alex!


ALEX RECEIVING HIS AWARDS


MILITARY BALL - ERIN & ALEX

SATURDAY:
Yesterday was fun!  Debbie & Rocco and Annalynn picked us up to go to Geneseeo college as Annalynn was invited to give a speech for Relay For Life.  The students were doing the charity event and their money goal was $77,777,77 dollars.  It was held in the Athletic building within the ice rink.  The participants  covered  the floor with blankets, pillows, ipads, food etc. 
Their all night walk was held upstairs in viewing balcony walk way which went around the room.  They had already earned $50,000.00.  Their theme was "Drown Cancer." 
BANDS VOLUNTEERED THEIR TIME. THIS GIRL HAD A BEAUTIFUL VOICE.
DRAG QUEEN CONTEST, THE LITTLE PERSON WITH PINK HAIR WON!
ANNALYNN, DEBBIE & ROCCO 
ANNALYNN DIRECTED HER SPEECH TO THE STUDENTS; HOW IMPORTANT THEIR CHARITY WORK REMAINS; SHE WOULDN'T BE HERE WITHOUT DONATIONS FOR RESEARCH, SHE RECEIVED A WIG FREE, AND CONTINUOUS SUPPORT AT ROSWELL.  (ANNALYNN'S HAIR IS GETTING LONGER!) GOOD JOB ANNALYNN!

DEBBIE BOUGHT HER THEIR FUND RAISING T-SHIRT!

THE PARTICIPANTS

On the drive home, Annalynn mentioned the next big event-'RIDE FOR ROSWELL"  and we need to start fund raising.  Annalynn wants to the ride starting at 6:00am from Roswell this year. 



SUNDAY:

I want to finish and post before lunch as we are planning on going to Lockport.  At the De Voe home, Rocco is planning on installing the wood floor and there is still one light to hang.   I hope to help Debbie with the wedding invitations.

What a great week for us!   Hope you have a good one too!   Thanks for clicking in!





GOLDEN GRAM



1 comment:

  1. Awesome stuff Gram! Cathy reads your blog regularly and this is my first go at it. Time is always so tight but loved the photos and the updates. It is a blessing that Donna and David married just a "few years ago" (where does the time go?) and now we are all connected.

    Love,
    Dan Arth

    ReplyDelete