Sunday, July 6, 2014

COMING DOWN OFF THE WEDDING HIGH - THEN EXCITEMENT BUILDS WAITING ON BABY DeVOE

MONDAY:
We could do what ever-today.  So we kinda took our time deciding and eventually decided to take the dry cleaning to the shop and return the cookie tree (used at wedding) to our friend, Fredia.   Fredia is an excellent cook and baker.  I kinda think she still likes to spoil our son, David.  She offered and made all but one kind of cookie on this tree; my sister Toots made the heart shaped at the bottom.  There was so many kinds; my favorite were the meatballs and the almond roll.  


THESE WERE SO GOOD!  She also made cream puffs!




Fredia wasn't home so we went on to Tops grocery store for a few items.  Big mistake!  We bought a fresh Kaiser Roll for each of us to fix with the new lunch meat.  LUNCH MEAT PARTY!  To top it off we had an Eclair donut!   Now we are stuffed and sluggish.  We are so kaput that we each take a nap for a couple hours.  
Once we got up. our pool looked inviting, so in we went for a couple hours, like until 7:00pm.  Then I made supper.  It was so hot that we stayed inside and read our books.  Bob finished the "Inferno" but he read until 4:00 AM to finish it.  He said it was a good book.

 TUESDAY:
Wow! It's hot!  There are heat adversaries on the TV.  Considerable wind too.  I tried to transplant a few plants and the dirt blew every where. I gave that idea up quickly.  

Since it was so windy, Bob and I decided to work in the garage and try to fix the canvas top to the gazebo, so we can get that put up.   There was several rips and many tie downs were missing from last year. We set up tables and I got the sewing machine out.   We hadn't even started when Bob noticed the pool cover all pushed up in a heap.  He asked me to come and help, darn wind.   We then saw the metal pole that we roll the cover up on -in the pool!  Oh boy, I hope it didn't slice the liner and cause a leak, we will have to watch the water level a couple days.  The wind registered 33 mile per hour on Bob's machine.  Nasty!

BOB DECIDED TO HOOK IT TO THE DIVING BOARD
I made quick spaghetti warm ups for supper and then we went back to the canvas mending.  We worked maybe two hours and quit.  I have developed sore throat and a cough so off to bed with me.

WEDNESDAY:
What a difference in the temperature!  Back to the garage and the mending.  We realize how badly sun bleached the gazebo canvas is and think we are working in vain.  But Grandma always said, "use it up, make due, etc!"   





PATCHING
VERY SUN BLEACHED!
We did check on line for a replacement but wasn't able to find the exact style..most are too big.  It is so huge and hard to handle and the weight of it pulls the material out from under the needle.  Then we bent a needle!  Man, where do I have needles stored.  Change it and go on, then the threads jammed up.  We lost an hour figuring that out.   Bob had parts all over the table.  He had everything back together and said try it.   Come to find out, I didn't have it threaded correctly.  By then Bob wasn't feeling good so we quit for lunch.  I drive the man crazy!  


During the late afternoon, we received word that Christianna and Joe were at the hospital.  Now to wait and hear of the delivery of Baby DeVoe. 

We finished with the patching of the canvas about 5:00pm.  We waited for Betsy to get home to put it on.  She was busy with washing and so we sat around watching the game shows.  About 7:00pm Betsy  sent a text to Debbie for an update on the delivery.   (5 centimeters-not enough to bear down yet)  
We all went to bed concerned for Christianna, hoping the delivery wouldn't take to long.   Christianna sent a text about 10:30; call me, call me.   We did call her and found out that it's a boy, born at 8:30pm, 8lb., 14oz., 21 inches long.  He will be called Lorenzo Rocco.  


A HAPPY FAMILY
JOE, LORENZO AND CHRISTIANNA
THURSDAY:
I spent the morning calling our friends about the baby.  Bob put pictures and a video on Face Book.  The baby is now known as Enzo.  How quickly the nick name became established.  

I quickly went to my cedar chest to retrieve the baby clothes that I put there in 1993, which I took out of Debbie's garage sale.   (21 years ago) I thought I would save them until Debbie & Rocco had grand children.  I hope Debbie can remember who the outfits were worn by.  Beautiful crochet sweater, booties, bibs.  



I WASHED THEM ALL
In the meantime, Bob has been to the door a couple times asking me if I'm ready to help put the gazebo cover on the frame.  Okay, Bob.  As we were working, it started to rain.  Then it poured.  Then a steady rain.  We finished an ran in the porch.  



WE ARE HOPING IT WILL LAST THE SUMMER

This summer rain reminds me of the days on the farms.  (the dark ages my kids call it)  Many times when it rained on the farm, the farmer would give us jobs to do that didn't require a machine that would get stuck.  I worked  many times pulling mustard plants out of the hay fields.  Apparently, it's not good for the cows.  We (us kids) would walk the hay field carrying every plant that we pulled to dump in the brush at the other end.  We would be soaking wet  but who cared as we were paid.  Wish I could remember how much.  (Probably before weed killer)

BETSY SENT THIS PHOTO FROM HER HOSPITAL VISIT TO MEET LORENZO.
I GOT A KICK OUT OF THE LONG LEG HANGING OUT OF THE BLANKET!


I started the book Inferno, by Dan Brown that Bob read.  So far, I think it's stupid...Bob says, "keep reading - it gets better!"

FRIDAY:

A very cool evening and morning.  I suppose the hurricane (Arthur) has something to do with it.  

Having our coffee on the porch was up setting!  Skunk smell all over the place!  Later we heard several neighbors talking next door.    Bob shuffled right over there to get the scoop.  We have had an albino skunk visiting our neighborhood, and it finally was trapped by the neighbor.  Please take him away!




IT'S BIG!

Here's another farm story from my childhood; skunk related.   A bunch of us kids (probably 8-10 years old)  went in the pasture to chase the cows home for milking.  We came upon a Momma skunk and her brood...several little ones.   I remember they were so cute.   Some how or another, the mother went far enough away that myself and another could pick up the babies.  We didn't think they were old enough to squirt us!  Ha, ha!  We carried them home and my friend said let's put them in the old chicken coop.  When our parents found out, we had to take them back to the area where we found them.  Back home,  we were  sprayed with a cold water hose from the milk house.   I can't remember if tomato juice was also used but I know Dad buried my clothing.   One of the adults nick named me--ready for this--"THE SKUNKER!"  It's a true story and you can all laugh.  

More pictures from the hospital!
LORENZO READY FOR THE 4TH!




THAT'S SOME TEDDY BEAR GRANDPA!

We watched the fire works programs on TV and avoided the bugs outside.

SATURDAY:
Finally, I felt a little better.  We made a quick trip to the grocery store as we were out of several essentials.  
In the afternoon, we drove to Lockport to meet baby Lorenzo.  
Rocco was holding him, so I snuggled in beside him and got a turn.  Lorenzo was wide awake and I held him for a long time.  Lots of pictures were taken as the "GREAT" grandparents held him.  



WHAT A MIRACLE!
GETTING TO KNOW YOU!


We saw the Lorenzo's room and it's just like a picture out of a magazine.  Debbie made coffee and served pastries before we headed back home.   At home we worked on the computers trying to get caught up with financial work.  Also looked for camp grounds to visit.  
SUNDAY:
I started cooking bright and early!  Ya me!  I made some brownies and some macaroni salad to bring camping tomorrow.  We are going up towards Lake Ontario where all the fruit farmers have orchards.  We are meeting our friends there who want to pick cherries.  (I picked up the fixings to make a pie while at the grocery store yesterday)  There is also a light house to tour there.

We had an invitation to a graduation party in the afternoon.  It was held at a pavilion at the Genesee County Park.   Again years ago, we brought our kids there to toboggan down hill.  We also cross country skied there.  It's beautiful and all most black under neath  the evergreen areas.   We had so much food to choose from that I won't have to make a supper.  Love that.  

Another great week coming to a close.  I hope your week was memorable too!  Thanks for clicking in!   

GREAT GOLDEN GRAM




No comments:

Post a Comment