Sunday, October 26, 2014

YOU CAN'T BEAT TUTORIALS! WELL, SOME OF THEM!


EIGHT MORE FRIDAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!
MONDAY:
Glad I didn't have to go out today because it's cool.  So soon we are wearing warmer clothing, even in the house.   I hate washing sweatshirts!  Wear fleece please.  I'm always afraid of shrinking the sweats.

Bob was gone all day.  Our son has some home improvement (wet basement) being done and he had asked Bob to supervise the house while the men were working. 

So while the cats away the mice will play.  I worked on my quilt and finished it, including tying.   Yeah!  It took most of the day, but I worked in washing and cooking too. 

This evening, I'm watching the Steelers.  Finally they are televised here.  The first half was boring, come on -wake up!  I set up my computer and spent time researching quilting tutorials, everything I should have known about quilting.  I wasn't even using my iron correctly,press don't iron!  I had blocks that were out of shape and some were short.  I thought that paper backing was shrinking too ,this could be why.  When I noticed it I then realized I should have been checking the square of each block.  I ended up making five new blocks for one row.  While viewing sites, I bumped into an advertisement for a bar to hang quilts on for display...if your a quilter and need something type in ..HANG IT DANG IT!   Catchy title.  Thanks to everyone for the compliments on my quilt, I appreciate it.  
Encouragement  helped to work thru the problems. 
Long day, I'm getting to tired to finish watching the game.  Good thing I didn't go to bed as I would have missed "Troy's leap" and the fumble that he picked up.  Nice that they had a win for their fans. 

TUESDAY:
Wow! The weather is getting worse daily-cold and misty/wet!  Miserable!

Bob went to David's again today to babysit the house rather than leaving it open.  He took all kinds of reading info with him.  (Insurance plans)  

I cut out some triangles to make a pillowcase border.   I needed 16 pieces so it took a while, trying to cut them exact.   

WEDNESDAY:
Another cold, misty day.  We need some sunshine! 
The worker's at David's did not get finished yesterday so Bob went there  again.  There is a lot of work. 

I went into the craft room again and worked on the same pillow case.  Boy if I were getting paid, that would be worth a million.  I picked out the material for the body and trimmed it all up to size then I saw that it had cuts in the fabric further down.  That won't due, so cut another piece.  Then I put the border, the piping and the body together and I starting sewing.  Zip, zip.  When I reversed it, I saw that I had caught a piece of material from the body.  Rats!  Rip and tear, do it again.  I did finish it and it looks nice but this pattern is much shorter than the tube type.


JUST THE CHALLENGE OF IT,

As soon as the men finished at David's, Bob left and went to the John Deere dealer's to return some tool they had loaned him.  He bought more parts and came home.  He was tired and ready for a nap but he just had to work on the Deere to see if it would start with the new parts.  It did and he mowed the front and back yard; happy as can be!  He had worked on it for a week off and on.   He watched tutorials to fix it too.  He complained at the store as the parts were $80.00.  The salesman said, that machine is 20 years old; divide the 80 by 20 and it's costing you $4.00 a year.   Quit complaining.  

Betsy came home with parts for her Toyota Hybrid.  She had a headlight burned out.  So Bob pulled her car in the garage and they went to work on it.  Get this-she has been viewing headlight replacement tutorials on her phone, so she knew just how to go about changing the bulb.  She suited up with plastic gloves like going to do surgery...I laughed.  Then she explained that they advised not to touch the bulb and get fingerprints on it...It takes a halogen bulb.  Next they changed the windshield wipers and that took them longer than the bulb replacement. 



SELF MADE MECHANIC!

I told them not to hurry as supper was horrible anyway.  I made chicken and biscuits.  I can not make biscuits to save my life.  They turned out like stones!  I told them to use slices of bread if they wanted and I wouldn't be hurt.  I didn't want to eat them either.  I made apple salad with raisins and nuts too.  Usually there is left overs of this, but I only peeled one good sized apple instead of two and Bob picked until he cleaned it all up.  Like there wasn't enough, I can't win.

Once I got all situated in my TV chair, 
I watched some tutorials on making Home Made Biscuits!  They use self raising flour - this lady who was wearing an oxygen tube was making them from start to finish.  She dumped flour in without measuring. She dumped in buttermilk and shortening with out measuring.  Then she worked the dough by hand leaving a lot of flour in dish when she thought the dough was ready.  Those three steps would be my failure!  I just need to put them on my grocery list from the freezer section.
THURSDAY:

Oh what a beautiful day!  We are having some sun shine!  The porch is warm again.  Bob and his friends went fishing, glad they have nice weather.

I had the car!  Yeah!  I beat it over town and went all over.  Bed & Bath, Jo-Ann Fabrics, McDonald's and finally Tops for groceries.  I was exhausted by that time so I didn't even hunt for some of the stuff on the grocery list...ah get it next time!  My back hurt, my knees hurt...whine whine!  

I unloaded the milk and meat items and left the rest in the trunk for Bob to carry up.  I figured he would be along shortly.  I headed for a nap.  

He came home and scolded me for leaving the garage door open.  I said, I figured you would be coming soon.  He brought up the groceries and joined me on the bed-he was exhausted from fishing.   Gees, do they always have to take over the TV?  I got up and made supper.

Betsy came home from work and wanted to fix  her headlight before eating.  What?  The right side burned out now.  It's like they were on a timer or something.  

FRIDAY:

This morning, Bob is on the computer waiting for it to warm up outside.  As long as he is busy, I went back in the craft room.  I wanted to try the Nine Patch Quilt, they make it look so easy on the tutorial.  Here it is near supper time and I've been in there all day.  Sewing, riping, sewing, and riping.  It's not easy like it looks.  I checked my block cuttings; they are square.  It must all be in my seams: so check the seams. I'm thinking I need a different pressure foot on sewing machine as I can't really see 1/4" to good. I need more tools!  I'm about to get some glue stick and glue the seams together...ha.



HERE IS MY NINE BLOCKS
SCRAP MATERIAL FOR A TEST




THEN YOU CUT THEM TWICE
YOU CAN THEN TURN THEM ANY WHICH WAY
THE ORIGINAL NINE PATCH IS HIDDEN 




ANOTHER PILLOWCASE
BUZZING UP THE SCRAPS!
IT'S KINDA DOWDY!  AS IN BLAH.  
So tonight we are having "slumgullyon" for dinner.  That's what my Dad always called "clean out the refrig.  He thru every left over into eggs and that was dinner.  I have a refrig full of left overs.  I really hit the winter meals hard this week with stew, chicken & biscuit, and spaghetti.  I better let up or I'll have Bob going back to surgery for more stents from all the gravy!  I have to confess, I wanted everything in a crock pot so I'd have more time to myself!  

Bob went out to discard the remains of his sunflowers and to start the JD again.  He ended up mowing the back field one more time.


BOB'S OKLAHOMA SUNFLOWER HAS WHITE SEEDS
MOST HAVE BROWN SEEDS

Baseball tonight!  At least it's not a repeat.  The fans in Kansas City are really excited.  

SATURDAY:
So today it's windy!  Leaves will be all over the neighborhood. 
I sent a text to Annalynn to see if I could bring anything tomorrow as we are invited to see their new house.  That's exciting!  I baked a Yum Yum Coffee Cake to go with our coffee. 

Bob is not up to par today; congestion.  He came to bed last night with so much Vick's on that the room stunk.  I ran to the window and thru up the sash--no reindeer in sight-ha.  He requested that I make him some vanilla pudding.  Okay Bob, maybe that will make you feel better.



ANOTHER PILLOW CASE FOR KIDS

As the day progressed, Bob felt worse.  He had chills real bad and sore throat was evident.  So we decided to cancel our plans for visiting tomorrow.

Sounds like the same thing Betsy and I had.  
SUNDAY:
Bob wanted some NyQuil so I went to pick up some.  I had a couple other errands too and when I came back home Bob was still in bed reading an e-book.  Wow, that's a surprise.  

I bought a new alarm clock while I was out and about.  Mine froze up while out camping.  This one projects the time and temperature to the ceiling.  Just what everyone needs.  I can charge my phone with it and listen to the radio or ITunes.  Pretty fancy!
Now we are watching football.  Prior, I made a meatloaf and put it in the oven, something soft for Bob to swallow.

I picked up some candy for our trick or treaters this week.  We may have a few stop by, each year there is less.  Some of our family are already donning costumes or planning one.







 This photo is giving me trouble, moving up!  Every now and then that happens. 
David and Donna dressed as pirates for a party on Saturday night. 


 Not much else new.  Hope all the families have a safe Halloween! 

GOLDEN GRAM










 




















No comments:

Post a Comment